Spacelab is a research and co-working space in Essen. It is open to freelance groups, choreographers, dancers and performance artists from Essen and the surrounding area. The space is also the office and headquarters of Polymer DMT / Fang Yun Lo.
Address: Kreuzeskirchstr. 25, 45127 Essen, Germany
Contact / Info: Kati Masami Menze, email@example.com
We offer a regular programme of workshops and lectures for members of IG Tanz Essen and interested freelance artists from the region, the Spacelab encounters (2021) und The flow work (2022), as well as festivals and other activities.
space | lab is running
The summer festival of IG Tanz Essen
DAY 1: JULY 29, 2022 - to start.
- 11:00 - 16:00, space | lab [not public] – Internal Sharing of the IG Tanz artists and the space | lab residents with representatives of the art and culture scene NRW. With: Alberto Curci, Marlene Helling, Marie-Lena Kaiser, Josephine Kalies, Gustavo Leite, Fang Yun Lo, Kati Masami Menze, Foteini Papadopoulou, Robert Schulz, Giovanni Zazzera Z Art Dance Company mit Enora Gemin
- 18:00, Gitterraum – Opening space | lab is running, drinks and food
- 19:00 - 21:00, Gitterraum – DJ Set
DAY 2: JULY 30, 2022 - we are running.
The coworking space "space | lab" and other public spaces in Essen's City Nord will be transformed through dance, performance, music, film and exhibitions by dance and performance artists from IG Tanz. All works will be made accessible to anyone interested in the form of a guided tour.
To participate in the guided tour please register in advance: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 14:00 START (in the order of the tour)
- space | lab: “Octupus.” by Pin-Chen Hsu, “Salz ||: im Blut” by Camila Scholtbach, “STAND BY” by Lara Pilloni/ music by Alvaro Severino (video works)
- Gitterraum: “now we're talking” by Josephine Kalies in collaboration with Kati Masami Menze, Paloma García de Juan, Elisa Spina and Tristan Berger (performative tryout / photo work)
- Weberplatz: “Frauen.Frieden.Flügel” by Anca Huma (dance performance)
- Konsumforum 2nd floor: “Untouch” by Alexandra Krutikova and Jan Chris Pollert (dance performance)
- Gitterraum: experimental concert by Marco Girardin
- Kopstadtplatz: “Zwei alte Damen” by Claudia Mauerer and Mariela Rossi (street performance)
- Kunstraum jETZT: “MOVEMENT JOURNALS/MOVING JOURNALS” by Foteini Papadopoulou and Christian Clarke (photo work)
- former Restaurant Mayflower: “Asia Restaurant” by Polymer DMT/Fang Yun Lo (video installation)
- 16:45 Picnic at the Weberplatz
DAY 3: JULY 31, 2022 - to finish.
On the last day, the space | lab invites you to film screenings and discussions about choreographers' and dancers' engagement with film.
- 11:00 - 14:00, space | lab
- Talk about the video installation "Asia Restaurant" with the artists of Polymer DMT/Fang Yun Lo
- Film screening "Die Erde ist gewaltig schön, doch sicher ist sie nicht" by SKORONEL RELOADED
- Film screening "Vale of shadow" by Annalisa Palmieri and Stsiapan Hurski
Gitter Raum: Viehofer Pl. 17
Konsumreform: Kopstadtplatz 10
Kunstraum jETZT: I. Weberstr. 8
former Restaurant Mayflower: Weberplatz 3
space | lab: Kreuzeskirchstr. 25
space | lab Events
2022 11月 4日The flow work - dance & writing - workshop with Judith Ayuso
2022 9月 16日The flow work - There is always a way: a workshop on freelancing as an artist - with Robert Schulz
2022 8月 31日 - 2022 9月 3日
2022 7月 29日 - 2022 7月 31日space | lab is running - summer festival
2022 6月 20日 - 2022 7月 3日Residency - Bianca Sere Pulungan
2022 6月 10日The flow work - Improvisation with principles of Feldenkrais method - with Mu-Yi Kuo
2022 5月 23日 - 2022 6月 5日Residency - Josephine Kalies
2022 5月 9日 - 2022 5月 21日Residency - Marco Girardin
2022 4月 2日The flow work - Documentary theatre research workshop - with Fang Yun Lo
2022 1月 24日 - 2022 2月 6日Residency - 李曉婷
2021 10月 28日Encounter #6 - Methods of Inclusion for Dance/Performance Art, with Elisa Kneisel線上
2021 8月 20日 - 2021 8月 22日the flow work - workshops with Marie-Lena Kaiser, Verena Hahn, Samandhyana Company, Magdalena Öttl and Foteini PapadopoulouMaschinenhaus Essen埃森, DE
2021 7月 4日Encounter #5 - Mobile audio recording techniques for choreographers, with Marius Kirch, Dipl. Audio Engineer線上
2021 6月 25日Encounter #4 - Turning reality into art - techniques of research and interviewing, with Khuê Phạm, ZEITmagazin線上
2021 5月 17日Encounter #3 - The Art Sector and Sustainability, with Iris Ping-Chi Hung, Taipei線上
2021 4月 29日Encounter #2 - Precarious Art, with Prof. Dr. Bojana Kunst, Frankfurt/M., Gießen線上
2021 4月 9日Meeting on cultural policy - with Muchtar Al-Ghusain, Margrit Lichtschlag
2021 3月 22日Encounter #1 - Building a regional artists' network, with Cindy Hammer, Magdalena Weniger / TanzNetzDresden e.V.線上
2021 3月 12日Opening ceremony
Spacelab is an initiative by Polymer DMT / Fang Yun Lo, in cooperation with IG Tanz Essen and Sabina Stücker Kulturproduktion, supported by DIEHL+RITTER/TANZPAKT RECONNECT, which is funded by the German Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media as part of the NEUSTART KULTUR initiative, and by the MInistry of Culture and Science of the German State of North Rhine-Westphalia - Spitzenförderung Tanz