Spacelab is a research and co-working space in Essen. It is open to freelance groups, choreographers, dancers and performance artists from Essen and the surrounding area. The space is also the office and headquarters of Polymer DMT / Fang Yun Lo.
Address: Kreuzeskirchstr. 25, 45127 Essen, Germany
Contact / Info: Kati Masami Menze, email@example.com
We offer a regular programme of workshops and lectures for members of IG Tanz Essen and interested freelance artists from the region, the Spacelab encounters (2021) und The flow work (2022), as well as festivals and other activities.
Spacelab is running - Spacelab summer festival from July 29 to July 31, 2022. Artists from the independent dance scene will present installations, short films and dance performances all over the Essen Nord neighbourhood. In the evening, there will be discussions and concerts at different locations. More information coming soon on this page.
The flow work (2022) is an open workshop series at Spacelab on various aspects of contemporary choreographic work. Workshop leaders are
- Mu-Yi Kuo,
- Robert Schulz,
- Judith Ayuso,
- Fang Yun Lo.
Spacelab Encounters (2021) is a lecture series presented jointly by Polymer DMT and IG Tanz Essen. Due to the COV19 pandemic, this lecture series took place online. Guests were:
- Tanznetz Dresden e.V., Cindy Hammer, Magdalena Weniger (Dresden), "Building a regional artists' network", March 22, 2021
- Prof. Dr. Bojana Kunst (Frankfurt/M. / Gießen), "Precarious Art", April 29, 2021
- Iris Ping-Chi Hung (Taipei), "The Art Sector and Sustainability", May 17, 2021 (online)
- Khuê Phạm (Berlin), "Turning reality into art - working with interviews and field research for the stage", June 25, 2021 (online)
- Marius Kirch (Essen),
- Elisa Kneisel (Leipzig), "Methods of Inclusion for Dance/Performance Art", October 28, 2021 (online)
Spacelab is an initiative by Polymer DMT / Fang Yun Lo, in cooperation with IG Tanz Essen and Sabina Stücker Kulturproduktion, supported by DIEHL+RITTER/TANZPAKT RECONNECT, which is funded by the German Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media as part of the NEUSTART KULTUR initiative, and by the MInistry of Culture and Science of the German State of North Rhine-Westphalia - Spitzenförderung Tanz