Spacelab is a research and co-working space in Essen. It is open to freelance groups, choreographers, dancers and performance artists from Essen and the surrounding area. The space is also the office and headquarters of Polymer DMT / Fang Yun Lo.
Address: Kreuzeskirchstr. 25, 45127 Essen, Germany
Contact / Info: Kati Masami Menze, Marlene Helling, firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition to work facilities, Spacelab offers a regular programme of workshops and lectures for members of IG Tanz Essen and interested artists from the region - the Spacelab encounters (2021), The flow work (2022) and space|lab is running (2022/23). We also organise festivals and other events and help coordinate the activities of IG Tanz Essen.
"space|lab is running 23 - one theme, two perspectives".
In this series of talks in space|lab and in our immediate neighbourhood, we want to talk to artists and specialists from teaching, research and science about their expertise and socially relevant topics. Which parallels exist in art and science, how and what can we learn from each other?
FRI, 10 FEBRUARY 2023, 19:00 [Start in Kunstraum jETZT, Weberstraße 8, Essen]
Archives - A task for eternity? - with Foteini Papadopoulou, freelance choreographer & Dr. Claudia Kauertz, head of Haus der Essener Geschichte/ Stadtarchiv
WED, 05 APRIL 2023, 19:00
AI - About Cyborgs, Chatbots and Chthuluzän - with Till Bödeker, visual artist & Anne Küper, Researcher in the DFG post-graduate programme “The Documentary. Excess and Withdrawal”, Ruhr-University Bochum
WED, 03 MAY, 2023, 19:00
Sounds of Our City - Noise or Signal? With Anna-Luella Zahner, dramaturge and translator & Frank Niehusmann, composer
Fri, 02 JUNE, 2023, 19:00
Assembly - How do we want to live together?
- We invite you to a dinner where different perspectives on a future life in the city will have space. How do we want to live? How do we imagine the city and urban society in the future?
- Admission free, pre-registration requested: email@example.com
space | lab is running 2022
The summer festival of IG Tanz Essen
DAY 1: JULY 29, 2022 - to start.
- 11:00 - 16:00, space | lab [not public] – Internal Sharing of the IG Tanz artists and the space | lab residents with representatives of the art and culture scene NRW. With: Alberto Curci, Marlene Helling, Marie-Lena Kaiser, Josephine Kalies, Gustavo Leite, Fang Yun Lo, Kati Masami Menze, Foteini Papadopoulou, Robert Schulz, Giovanni Zazzera Z Art Dance Company mit Enora Gemin
- 18:00, Gitterraum – Opening space | lab is running, drinks and food
- 19:00 - 21:00, Gitterraum – DJ Set
DAY 2: JULY 30, 2022 - we are running.
A tour through Essen's City Nord, transformed through dance, performance, music, film and exhibitions by dance and performance artists from IG Tanz.
- 14:00 START (in the order of the tour)
- space | lab: “Octupus.” by Pin-Chen Hsu, “Salz ||: im Blut” by Camila Scholtbach, “STAND BY” by Lara Pilloni/ music by Alvaro Severino (video works)
- Gitterraum: “now we're talking” by Josephine Kalies in collaboration with Kati Masami Menze, Paloma García de Juan, Elisa Spina and Tristan Berger (performative tryout / photo work)
- Weberplatz: “Frauen.Frieden.Flügel” by Anca Huma (dance performance)
- Konsumforum 2nd floor: “Untouch” by Alexandra Krutikova and Jan Chris Pollert (dance performance)
- Gitterraum: experimental concert by Marco Girardin
- Kopstadtplatz: “Zwei alte Damen” by Claudia Mauerer and Mariela Rossi (street performance)
- Kunstraum jETZT: “MOVEMENT JOURNALS/MOVING JOURNALS” by Foteini Papadopoulou and Christian Clarke (photo work)
- former Restaurant Mayflower: “Asia Restaurant” by Polymer DMT/Fang Yun Lo (video installation)
- 16:45 Picnic at the Weberplatz
DAY 3: JULY 31, 2022 - to finish.
Film screenings and discussions about choreographers' and dancers' engagement with film
- 11:00 - 14:00, space | lab
- Talk about the video installation "Asia Restaurant" with the artists of Polymer DMT/Fang Yun Lo
- Film screening "Die Erde ist gewaltig schön, doch sicher ist sie nicht" by SKORONEL RELOADED
- Film screening "Vale of shadow" by Annalisa Palmieri and Stsiapan Hurski
space | lab Events
Jun 2 2023Assembly - How do we wish to live together?space | lab is running 23
May 3 2023Sounds of Our City - Noise or Signal? With Anna-Luella Zahner & Frank Niehusmannspace | lab is running 23
Apr 5 2023AI - About Cyborgs, Chatbots and Chthuluzän. With Anne Küper & Till Bödekerspace | lab is running 23
Feb 10 2023Archives - A task for eternity? With Foteini Papadopoulou & Claudia Kauertzspace | lab is running 23
Nov 4 2022The flow work - dance & writing - workshop with Judith Ayuso
Sep 16 2022The flow work - There is always a way: a workshop on freelancing as an artist - with Robert Schulz
Aug 31 2022 - Sep 3 2022space | lab @ AgoraInternationale TanzmesseDüsseldorf, DENRW-ForumDüsseldorf, DE
Jul 29 2022 - Jul 31 2022space | lab is running - summer festival
Jun 20 2022 - Jul 3 2022Residency - Bianca Sere Pulungan
Jun 10 2022The flow work - Improvisation with principles of Feldenkrais method - with Mu-Yi Kuo
May 23 2022 - Jun 5 2022Residency - Josephine Kalies
May 9 2022 - May 21 2022Residency - Marco Girardin
Apr 2 2022The flow work - Documentary theatre research workshop - with Fang Yun Lo
Jan 24 2022 - Feb 6 2022Residency - Hsiao-Ting Lee
Oct 28 2021Encounter #6 - Methods of Inclusion for Dance/Performance Art, with Elisa KneiselOnline
Aug 20 2021 - Aug 22 2021the flow work - workshops with Marie-Lena Kaiser, Verena Hahn, Samandhyana Company, Magdalena Öttl and Foteini PapadopoulouMaschinenhaus EssenEssen, DE
Jul 5 2021 - Jul 11 2021Folkwang RUNDGANG 2021
Jul 4 2021Encounter #5 - Mobile audio recording techniques for choreographers, with Marius Kirch, Dipl. Audio EngineerOnline
Jun 25 2021Encounter #4 - Turning reality into art - techniques of research and interviewing, with Khuê Phạm, ZEITmagazinOnline
May 17 2021Encounter #3 - The Art Sector and Sustainability, with Iris Ping-Chi Hung, TaipeiOnline
Apr 29 2021Encounter #2 - Precarious Art, with Prof. Dr. Bojana Kunst, Frankfurt/M., GießenOnline
Apr 9 2021Meeting on cultural policy - with Muchtar Al-Ghusain, Margrit Lichtschlag
Mar 22 2021Encounter #1 - Building a regional artists' network, with Cindy Hammer, Magdalena Weniger / TanzNetzDresden e.V.Online
Mar 12 2021Opening ceremony
Spacelab is an initiative by Polymer DMT / Fang Yun Lo, in cooperation with IG Tanz Essen and Sabina Stücker Kulturproduktion, supported by BUREAU RITTER/TANZPAKT RECONNECT, which is funded by the German Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media as part of the NEUSTART KULTUR initiative, and by the Ministry of Culture and Science of the German State of North Rhine-Westphalia - Spitzenförderung Tanz